WHEN: March 1998
WITH: Dad, Mom, and Diana
WHY: Spring Break
MEMORIES:
-1st time to Europe.
-Rijksmuseum
-Lots of bikes
-I was so incredibly tired once we got there...we took a canal boat to see the Anne Frank house and I remember falling asleep before my head hit my mom's lap. I also remember really liking the visit to Anne Frank's house.
-We stayed at a bed and breakfast in Amsterdam...which was essentially this old lady's house. Dad had to speak German to her.
-I liked going to Edam...a cheese town. I remember trying some new cheeses but not being brave enough to try the really strong cheeses.
-Waiting late at night at a bus station and seeing drug deals take place. They had blue lights in the bathroom so that people couldn't find their veins to use needles.
-We stayed with our friend Louise Gregory (she was my older siblings' 5th grade teacher) and her (then) husband Sjaak. We went to dinner in Germany. Diana and I were craving the American cereal we saw on top of Louise's fridge, but Sjaak insited we have a traditional Dutch breakfast. We were pretty disappointed, ha.
-My big souvenir was a small clock-locket on a long chain. My mom spoke French to a lot of the jewelers to ask if they had them. I still have it and wear it occasionally.
-Going to a flower auction - so pretty to see all those flowers!
-Seeing windmills and touring one.
-Learning about pewter.
-Using our umbrellas a lot.
-Cities we visited: Amsterdam, Volendam, Edam, Brugge, Brussels, Luxembourg City, Clervaux, Liege, Maastrct, Heerlen, Brusnum, Aachen, Valkenburg, and Aalsmeer.
-Food I remember eating: dutch pancakes, lots of baguettes with peanut butter mom brought, orange fanta, smurf cookies, genuine Belgium waffles (so good), chocolate, and traditional bread/cheese European breakfasts.
Oldest home in Amsterdam.
Lady whose "bed and breakfast" we stayed in.
Edam cheese in Edam.
Working windmill in Edam (someone's house).
Brugge
Chocolate shop in Brussels. I bought my older siblings a hollow chocolate egg that was full of different chocolates. I'm sure it broke on the way home.
"Manneken Pis" 1619, Brussels
Luxembourg City
Castle Cleraux
Waiting for the train...baguette in hand.
Louise and Sjaak's house.
Aachen
Inside a windmill.
Flower Market in Aalsmeer.
Look at all those flowers!
No comments:
Post a Comment